Information for Carers
Bay Medical Group welcomes and values the important support carers provide for those they care for. We recognise that care can be physical, emotional, psychological or communication needs.
We are committed to working in partnership with you so we can provide the best possible health and welfare support to you and to anybody you are caring for.
A recognised definition of a carer is someone who:
‘provides or intends to provide a substantial and regular amount of care for their husband, wife or partner, a parent or a child, a relative, friend or neighbour and does not provide that care through paid employment.’
If you are a carer we encourage you to let us know, please advise us if you are a young carer (under 18 years of age).
As soon as you advise us that you are a carer we will issue you with a BMG Carers Support Pack. We ask you to complete and submit to us asap the Carers Identification and Referral Form.
When we receive the completed form we will update your records as soon as possible to show that you are a carer and we will also update the record(s) of the person or people who you are caring for.
With your permission we will refer your details on your behalf to the carers support organisation The Lancashire Carers Service who can carry out a Carers Assessment for you.
Young carers (under 18 years of age) are supported by Barnardos and with your permission we will be able to refer your details on, so that you can get support and advice regards your caring role.
If you identify yourself as a carer or a young carer our staff will try to offer you:
- Telephone appointments if caring responsibilities mean you cannot leave the person you care for at home or bring them with you to the surgery.
- Flexibility on appointment times where possible.
- Support for the person you care for in the waiting room or a private area if you need to bring them to the surgery but would like an appointment in private.
- Information about local carers support services which may be able to arrange transport and/or sitting services to help you leave home to attend surgery.
- Online ordering for prescriptions and appointment booking.
- An annual flu jab.
- Information about your right to a Carer’s Assessment of your own needs as a carer.
- Advice on safer lifting and other aspects of providing care such as medication.
- Discussing with you what you would like us to do in the event of your or the person you care for having a medical or other emergency.
In some cases caring roles are full-time and very demanding. We would like to support you in your caring role where we can. We will avoid making assumptions about the amount of care you wish to take on.
Caring should not be at the expense of your own health and wellbeing.
Please tell us how your caring role is affecting you and if you have any support needs.
We will try to help you by:
Respecting your privacy and confidentiality and conducting conversations of a personal nature in private.
Discussing the benefits of appropriate information sharing with patients who need or may in future need care from a relative or friend.
Providing you with information about the condition and needs of the person your care for.
Always listening to and respecting the information you give us about your caring role and the needs of the person you care for.
Providing you with general information about health conditions when you ask for it when we do not have consent from the person you care for to share their personal information.
If you are a carer please talk to our staff about the person you care for, they are happy to work with you. If you have concerns or queries please contact the Bay Medical Group Carers Champions based in each of our surgeries. Contact details available here
- Carers Line - 020 7378 4999
- Carers Trust - 0300 772 9600
- n-compass Carers Hub Northwest - 0345 013 8208
- Bay Medical Group - 01524 511999
- Out of Hours - 111
- Age UK Lancashire - 0300 303 1234
- Alzheimer’s Society - 0300 222 1122
- Citizens Advice Lancaster / Morecambe - 01524 400400
- Samaritans - 0845 799 9090
- Royal Lancaster Infirmary - 01524 65944
- Royal Preston Hospital - 01772 716565
- Westmorland General Hospital - 01539 762288
- Blackpool Teaching Hospital - 01253 300000
- Lancaster City Council - 01524 582000
- Lancaster Council Tax Enquiries - 01524 582900
- Carers Allowance Helpline - 0845 608 4321
- Benefit Enquiry Helpline - 0800 882 200
- Welfare Rights - 0845 053 0013
- Blue Badge - 0845 053 0049
- Disability Benefits Helpline - 0845 123 456
- Mental Health Helpline - 0500 639 000
- NHS Direct - 0845 46 47
- Pension Service - 0845 606 026
n | Compass
The Lancashire Carers Service works across the county providing support and information to adult carers (18+). Services in our area are N-Compass their service supports carers to improve their own health and wellbeing. Support available includes:
- Specialist 1-2-1 and group support
- Information, advice and guidance on a range of carer related matters
- 1-2-1 and group cognitive behavioural therapy
- Magazines twice a year detailing local groups, activities and courses
- Carers assessments
- Support with planning for contingency or an emergency
- Support to access community and health and wellbeing services
- A 24/7 volunteer manned carers help and talk (CHAT) line
- Online digital platform to support carers (carers community network)
- Digital resources provided in partnership with ‘Carers UK’ including ‘jointly’ a care coordination app
- Volunteer befriending and sitting-in services
- Support for former carers
- Volunteering opportunities for carers, including volunteering for the CHAT line, befriending and sitting-in services
- Carers awareness briefings to other professionals aiming to increase the number of hidden carers identified and supported in Lancashire
Telephone: 03450 138 208 (Lines are open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device. Find out about our cookies.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.